Welcome

Hello and Welcome to my Action Research Journey! As I prepare to present my research and experience this April at the Saint Mary's Spring Conference I know that some of you are visiting this blog as a way of preparing for the seminar. I would encourage you to start at the end of the blog and read from that point forward to help you better understand my Action Research Journey. Please feel free to post questions and comments as you read! I look forward to discussing with you what I have done as I strive to keep my 4th grade readers attitudes positive while also working to motivate and engage them through student choice. I also look forward to hearing from you about what you have done or tried in your own classroom.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Choice #1: Read to Self

We have survived the first two weeks of school... the supplies are unpacked and being used, the books have been taken out of lockers and read, and the routines have been learned. We have spent a lot of time the first two weeks of school building a foundation for our community and I am thrilled with the way our year is starting off!

We jumped into Reading Workshop on the first day of school and after reading Read All About It by Laura and Jenna Bush we talked about what we love to read and why we love to read. Some students contributed more to the conversation than others, but not one was groaning about reading, so I took that as a good sign. Before embarking on our first independent reading time we sat together at the carpet and talked about how this year in Reading Workshop that students will have choices, but those choices will not all come at once, we have to learn them one at a time. I saw a few faces perk up at the mention of choices during reading, curiosity was getting their interest, which was wonderful to see. I explained that the first choice we would practice was one that many of the had probably done at school before: Read to Self. We the made an I-Chart about the expectations of this choice time. We start the chart of with an I for Independence, as the goal is that by following the expectations of the chart students should be able to independently complete the learning task. Our I-Chart (pictured below) was created by the students (with minimal guidance from me) and is something that we often reference when preparing for Read to Self time. We also talked about why this choice is important to us: To help us become better readers! Before sending students off to practice this choice on their own I had some models demonstrate the correct and incorrect ways to Read to Self. The students enjoyed the modeling time, and I was careful to select those that enjoy being silly to model and incorrect ways to Read to Self and then transition into the correct model as I was of showing them that I know they can do this!  (and so I can remind them when they are off task... "remember how well you modeled for the class, show me some of the things you did..."

Our I-Chart for the Read to Self Choice

We have practiced Read to Self for the past two weeks and within that practice I have allowed students to continue making chocies within our Reading Workshop block. An additonal choice that needed to be made was where students would read during Reading Workshop, and instead of making this choice for the students I allow them to be a part of the process.  We first read The Best Place to Read by: Debbie Bertram, and then talk about places in our classroom that might be "the best place to read". Students are aware of some places around the room they would like to read right away  (one of the comfy black chairs, one of the rolling computer chairs, their table spot, with a pillow from one of the chairs)... I introduce them to a few more ideas (the counter, one of the camping chairs, carpet squares)... and they come up with some ideas on their own. (the double chair, sitting on top of the table spot, in the corner by the cabinet). Before we know it we have our list of Book Nook spots, which does include a few students at their table spot each day. I then had each student create a "Book Nook Stick" which was then used to create our Book Nook rotation system.

Book Nook Rotation System

Since the creation of our Book Nook Rotation System on Monday this has become a very popular each morning, the rotation of the Book Nook spots just moves down one stick each day, but it is still very exciting for them to see what their spot is for reading each day! Book Nooks seem to have created some added excitiment for Reading Workshop, and on Parent Information Night this past Thursday many parents were directed by their students to look at the Book Nook sticks, and to try out the comfy black chairs! I am thrilled to see this excitment towards reading, even if it is all over a Book Nook spot!

As we ended our second week of school today I had the students reflect on a notecard about the Read to Self choice, knowing that this is something most students have expierenced in the classroom setting before, most often refered to as independent reading time. The reflections helped me see who already has a love for reading, and who needs more encoragement to become lover of reading, who feels they can accomplsih this choice well, and who needs additonal support, it help be better understand how they feel and view the Read to Self choice. (it also helped me see who listened to our conversation about what it means to "take time to reflect" and who just copied my key words off the board and put none of their own thoughts or feelings into their reflections..... still working on following directions! :))

As we ended week two of Reading Workshop the reflections showed a range of feelings towards the Read to Self choice: "I don't think it's the best choice. I can't really focus on my book." "I go bananas for it! It's Fun! It's the Best!" "I liked it, I liked my book, I was not a distraction." "I think it is good having a long time just for reading. It gives us a long time just for one thing." "I think reading to self is fun! I just shouldn't look around the room so much!" "It is easy, but I don't like it." "I feel smart when I read!" "I think it's a great idea. It is helping me read and it's always quiet!"

“The one thing that students want most in school can be summed up in one word: CHOICE.” ~Tricia Georg


No comments:

Post a Comment