Welcome

Hello and Welcome to my Action Research Journey! As I prepare to present my research and experience this April at the Saint Mary's Spring Conference I know that some of you are visiting this blog as a way of preparing for the seminar. I would encourage you to start at the end of the blog and read from that point forward to help you better understand my Action Research Journey. Please feel free to post questions and comments as you read! I look forward to discussing with you what I have done as I strive to keep my 4th grade readers attitudes positive while also working to motivate and engage them through student choice. I also look forward to hearing from you about what you have done or tried in your own classroom.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Less Choices Today!

As I attempt to help twenty five 4th graders create their Christmas present for their families I also decided to change up Reading Workshop... after Day 1 I am already wanting to go back to the way we usually do things in Reading Workshop. I miss our familar routines. I feel like this will provide some good insight into the way the students actually feel about Reading Workshop, I just hope it doesn't make for a stressful two weeks before Christmas.

Our Christmas project requires some small group teacher supervision, and Reading Workshop usually provides a quiet enviornment where this can happen, so we will be multi tasking during Reaidng Workshop for the next two weeks. While I am helping student choose letters that go together, sand, paint, and modge podge their work the students will also be completing an Independent Reading Contract, while also taking part in the Read to Self choice. Today was Day 1 and I already had students asking me if Read to Someone was a choice today. After students got working they did great, I think it is good for them all to have some quality Read to Self time! We will see how this continues... 9 days of Read to Self, while also completing some independent activities that relate to their reading. Here it goes!

Our CHRISTMAS Project: On an unrelated note I thought I would take a moment to share our Christmas Project Idea, as we consider it to be a fairly inexpensive, but cute project. Each child makes a wooden sign with a holiday word on it, like the crafty type signs you sometimes see in stores. We buy the wood from the bin at Menards and then cut it down to size. Then using my Cricut and holdiay scrapbook paper we cut out letters and give students the choice of what word they would like to put on their board: Merry, Hope, Joy, Jolly, Peace, Noel. Students mix and match the different letters and styles to create their word, then they paint their board, and Modge Podge the letters on. I will try to post some photos after we are a little more underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment