Welcome

Hello and Welcome to my Action Research Journey! As I prepare to present my research and experience this April at the Saint Mary's Spring Conference I know that some of you are visiting this blog as a way of preparing for the seminar. I would encourage you to start at the end of the blog and read from that point forward to help you better understand my Action Research Journey. Please feel free to post questions and comments as you read! I look forward to discussing with you what I have done as I strive to keep my 4th grade readers attitudes positive while also working to motivate and engage them through student choice. I also look forward to hearing from you about what you have done or tried in your own classroom.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Choice #3: Read to Someone

This is a choice that I was nervous about introducing, but after a little over a week of modeling and practicing I am ok with the way things are going. We have spent A LOT of time talking about how to complete the Read to Someone choice correctly, we created an I-Chart, modeled, practiced, and reflected. I was thrilled when during our reflections one of the things that students disliked the most about the choice was that the room wasn’t as quiet! A quiet environment for reading is clearly something that is important to them, and that is great! Now we just have to work on making the Read to Someone choice a little quieter. I do believe that part of the problem was that we were all practicing the Read to Someone choice and with that many people reading aloud to someone it is bound to be a little louder. On Friday students were given the choice between Read to Self and Read to Someone, approximately half of the class chose to Read to Someone and the overall environment was much quieter than it had been in days prior when everyone was practicing Read to Someone.

                                         Read to Someone I-Chart

Last week was the first week that we also had a “Story of the Week” from our basal series. We are working on the routines of what this mean during Reading Workshop, and since I am making changing in how I have done things in the past this is also a learning time for me. As of right now our weekly implementation of the weekly story looks like this:

Monday: Introduce story and vocabulary for the week, do teacher read aloud from the reading book with focus on a specific reading strategy.
Tuesday: Review vocab. and weekly reading strategy.
MUST DO CHOICE: (on Monday and/or Tuesday) All students must read the weekly story by the end of Reading Workshop on Tuesday – they can choose Read to Self, Read to Someone, or soon Listen to Reading.
Wednesday: Read Part 1 of the weekly story together in an interactive format, this week was a story about a dogsled race so we flipped over our tables and made them into dogsleds. J
Thursday: Read Part 2 of weekly story together.
Friday: Comprehension Quiz (sometimes given earlier in the week)

Choice Time is also given each day, right now students are given the choice of  Read to Self  or Read to Someone, as not all choices have been introduced yet.

It was a busy week with the introduction of Read to Someone and the weekly reading basal story, but overall I thought the week went well. On Friday I gave the students a  quick survey in which I asked them on a scale of : Love it! Like it! Ho-Hum! or Don’t Like It! about there feelings on different areas of Reading Workshop. When asked the questions, “How do you feel about having choices in Reading Workshop?” With 24 students (out of 25) taking the survey I had 11 say they “Love it!”, 11 say the “Like it” and 2 say “Ho-Hum”. When asked, “How do you feel about Reading Workshop so far in 4th grade?” I had 8 say they “Love it!”, 11 say they “Like it”, 4 say “Ho-Hum”, and 1 say “Don’t like it!” These results were good and made me happy about the decisions I have made so far, although I would love to see more readers “Loving it!” There were 5 questions total and I had minimal “Don’t Like It” responses, which I find to be a positive as well!

                                     Read to Someone Choice

At the end of the week I started to introduce the Listen to Reading chart, and as I turned the chart paper around one student said, “I bet we will need to make an I-Chart for this!” They are catching on! I am excited to see how Listen to Reading goes this week as it will be a choice. I have 4 computers in my classroom that students will be able to use to listen to this week’s reading story. We have discussed how this might look and how it will be decided as to who gets to use the computers, but we are still working on putting a plan into place. There are some students that I know would benefit from listening to the weekly story, so I will be working on a way to make sure they are given the chance to do so. I am looking to another week in Reading Workshop! J

No comments:

Post a Comment