Welcome

Hello and Welcome to my Action Research Journey! As I prepare to present my research and experience this April at the Saint Mary's Spring Conference I know that some of you are visiting this blog as a way of preparing for the seminar. I would encourage you to start at the end of the blog and read from that point forward to help you better understand my Action Research Journey. Please feel free to post questions and comments as you read! I look forward to discussing with you what I have done as I strive to keep my 4th grade readers attitudes positive while also working to motivate and engage them through student choice. I also look forward to hearing from you about what you have done or tried in your own classroom.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Choice #5: Write About Reading

The most recent choice we have added to our Reading Workshop time is Writing About Reading, a choice in which students write letters to me about the current I PICK book they are reading, these letters are written in their Reading Workshop folders and I use these letters as a way of holding students accountable for what they are reading during their independent reading. The focus of the letters is not to summarize the facts of what they have read, but to show their thinking about what they have read. The letter they write include a short summary of what they have read most recently read, responses to reading workshop questions that encourage students to show their thinking about what they have read, and answers to questions that I have recently asked the student about their reading. The initial response to this choice has been, at most mediocre. It seems that most students have written some sort of Reading Workshop Letter in previous years and do not have overly positive feelings towards this. This will present some challenges for me as I strive to make this a choice that students enjoy. In my Week 8 Reflection survey for my collection of data I will be asking students about their feeling towards the Writing About Reading choice and will then have a better understanding of students’ true feelings towards this choice.

One way that I hope to keep students engaged in this choice is through my responses back to them about what they are reading. I strive to use my responses to student’s letters as a time to connect with them about what they are reading as well as time to connect with them on a more personal level. My goal is through prompt responses and showing my own effort being put forth that students will be motivated in their own writing as well.

Student’s letters are due approximately once every other week, and with 25 students I have 5 journals due each day. The students were given a color folder where different Reading Workshop materials are kept, including a place where they write their letters, their color represents the day in which their journal is due. I am currently 3 days into the first week of journal being due and so far their letters have been good, some stronger than others, some showing their thinking with good details, some trying to get away with as few words as possible. But for now I am happy that all letters are being handed in on time with some sort of letter written. We will work on continuing to improve the quality of these letters as we move forward.  

We are currently established in four choice activities during Reading Workshop: Read to Self, Read to Someone, Listen to Reading, and Write About Reading. (the reason that this post is titled Choice #5 is because I have also introduced the choice of what students choose to read for their independent reading book selections) One shift I have seen with these choices is that Read to Someone is not as popular as it once was, which has eased some of my concerns about this choice. I think part of this shift comes from the new responsibility of having to Write About Reading, students are finding that they need to use some of their Reading Workshop time to work independently on their letter so that it is ready on their due date. I do have some students who are continuously choosing to Read to Someone, and while I do feel this is a good choice, I also do not think it is one that they should be doing every day. We currently only have one block of time per Reading Workshop period in which students can make a choice. As we establish routines I am hoping that we can shift this to two choice blocks per Reading Workshop period. (at least a few times a week) I am finding time to be one of my greatest challenges.
Next up is Working on Writing a choice in which students will be able to use their time to work on and reread their own writing pieces that they are producing during Writing Workshop.

3 comments:

  1. Your organization is amazing. It really sounds like the students are making progress. The planning for this must be extensive. It is so impressive to read all that you are doing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog really describes what you are doing in great detail. It sounds like your class is really enjoying having some choices for reading. I am impressed with the way you have introduced and carefully practiced each choice activity. I like your charts! Visuals are really helpful!
    My class has four choices, too. I have purchased four "whisper phones" and they like reading aloud to themselves with those. I have a few students who really need the fluency practice and I'm hoping this will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experience is so well shared here in your blog. I feel like I am right there. Your style is clear and detailed, but still personal and YOU! Keep sharing your thoughts and experiences. What are your students saying off the record? I would love to be a fly on your wall:)

    ReplyDelete